Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I was wrapping up a fix-it project for my daughter, Pami, when my cellphone rang. Startled, I answered. Then came the voice; “Pastor Paul, did you forget that you are invited as our special guest speaker at our annual ministerial ceremony? Can you still join us?”

Oh no!!!

There are times I am frustrated with my own shortfalls as a human… I assured the pastor I would be there asap and rushed to change into the only other clothes I had brought with me: jeans and a golf shirt, definitely not keynote speaker appropriate attire! Oh well, it was the best I had. I jumped into the car and raced to get to the venue, praying all the while that God would use what was suddenly a gaping weakness for His glory. I knew that whatever I said would either reveal my gross lack of preparation OR be Spirit-filled with His words. I prayed for the latter.




The occasion was the Cainta Ministerial Association’s annual installation of new officers. Cainta City is part of the sprawling metropolis, but it is just outside the official “Metro Manila” boundaries. It was amazing to see the number of those officers, both the outgoing and incoming, who have undergone the 6-month Life Discipleship training in our home. The invited mayor gave his address about what the association can do in cooperation with this city government to improve the quality of life for its communities and for other nearby communities.


I arrived in the middle of the city mayor’s speech. As I sat down, I felt the calm assurance that God would provide for what I should say from His word when I got up to speak. And sure enough, He did by His grace. I was invited to share some biblical encouragement with exhortation that focused on three things:

1) Pray that you may be given a heart that seeks after God so that you may know Him and his love even more (I John 2:15-17, I Corinthians 6:11).
2) Commit yourself to a life that lives by and teaches the principles of God’s Word (I John 14:5-17, Matthew 28:19-20).
3) Prepare and follow-up those who will be faithful to teach others also (2 Timothy 2:2, 20-21, 24-26).

This message was well received and I offer my full gratitude to the Lord. Please pray with us that these men and women will be faithful to be examples of the faith teaching others in this ministerial organization to teach others also.

PS - I looked at what the ministerial officers were wearing and guess what? Some of them were wearing jeans like I had to wear. Whew! While my jeans were not what I would have planned to wear, they sufficed in a pinch.

No comments: